Friday, August 17, 2012

Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith, by Rob Bell

**

An excerpt of a review posted on Schaeffer's Ghost:
Allow me to start by saying that I have a low tolerance for vaguely deep-sounding statements that don’t actually mean anything. The word ‘journey’ gives me hives. I get queasy when I read sentences like ‘Somewhere in you is the you whom you were meant to be.’ (And not just because I can’t help feeling like it should be ‘who’, not ‘whom.’) 
I suspect this means I am not Rob Bell’s ideal audience. 
Other indications that this book was perhaps not intended for people like me include the following: 
[...] 
I don’t think that my direction in life should be determined by a quest for self-actualization. I most definitely think that ‘being true to oneself’ is a terrible reason to plant a church. I don’t think God chose me because He believed in me, or because He knew I ‘had it in me’. I do not believe God saw my unrealized potential and drafted me to His team. Nor do I believe that my sins are the result of my failure to believe in myself.
So yeah, I’m not really Bell’s kind of reader.
Full review available here.

[The original review appeared here in its entirety, and is now available at the above blog.]

No comments: