Monday, April 4, 2011

The Holiness of God, by R.C. Sproul

****

A good book, to be sure, and Sproul turns an excellent phrase, but he seems prone to rabbit trails. Interesting rabbit trails, to be sure. But on more than one occasion, I found myself wondering what a particular tangent had to do with the overall point of the book. Again, the tangents were well-written and I enjoyed them. I just don't know that they were necessary in this particular book. However, this may be the result of listening to the audiobook--I think this tendency would be much less noticeable in the hard copy format. I plan to read the book-book as well (for note-taking and underlining purposes--I can only absorb so much via audiobook), so we'll see if that helps. And I look forward to reading other Sproul volumes as well, to see if the trend continues.

Still, it's definitely worth a read. I'm hoping to read J.C. Ryle's Holiness at some point, so it will be interesting to see how the two books compare.

No comments: