Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles #1), by Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi

****

An excellent little book. The audiobook is particularly good (Mark Hamill is a surprisingly capable reader, and his voice has matured enough that I was only occasionally reminded of Star Wars), Given the eerie nature of the story, I couldn't help wishing Neil Gaiman had provided the narration, but that's hardly an indictment of Hamill; I wish Gaiman narrated everything, including my life.

Black has created a wonderful world of fantasy creatures, and I look forward to reading more of her works. Also, she incited a raging case of house envy, in that I very much want a house with a secret library. Great book for kids--it deals with issues of divorce, injustice, frustration, innocence, trust, honesty, fear, and change. It would be a great springboard for conversations about these difficult issues, particularly for children facing upsetting new circumstances in their lives, whether personal (like a divorce) or situational (like moving to a new town). Plus, it's a short, easy read (or listen, as the case may be).

No comments: