Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit, by Francis Chan

***

A decently written and unobjectionable book, but I'm still not really sure I get the point. It's a book about the Holy Spirit, sure, and Chan is clearly disturbed by the degree to which the Holy Spirit is ignored or misunderstood, but I felt like he never really got anywhere. The opening chapter convinced me that churches tend toward one extreme or the other and that both approaches are wrong (though this was something I had already been struck by), but I wasn't really sure about the purpose of the chapters that followed.

I did appreciate his willingness to challenge both the Pentecostal and more staid evangelical churches, and I don't think he said anything that was actually wrong. I just kept thinking he would get somewhere and never felt like he did. (Also, a few of his arguments included unsupported leaps that were less than convincing to me.)

Still, he's not a bad writer (or he had a good editor), and I'd be willing to read more of his stuff.

No comments: