Tuesday, August 23, 2011

An Open Letter to Evangelicals, by R.E.O. White

***

A thorough and largely reliable exposition of the book of I John. The first half of this book contains section-by-section commentary on the book of I John; the second half is essays on the book as a whole and what it says about evangelicals' interactions with various theological concepts--the cross, ecumenicism, Jesus, etc. My husband and I read the commentary portions aloud, and I read the essays on my own, so I suspect that any comparison of the two sections will be more a comparison of the reading methods than a comparison of actual substance. That being said, I think I liked the essays more than the commentary. I think I will have to go back and re-read the commentary portion to make sure, though.

No comments: