Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, by Jeremiah Burroughs

***

A well-presented study on contentment, why it matters, and how to develop it. Burroughs is, I think, at his strongest when he is debunking the various common excuses for discontentment. However, I found The Mystery of Providence by John Flavel--a meditation on the many workings of Providence in our lives and the myriad ways God has blessed us--much more encouraging and more effective at dispelling discontentment in my own life. (Although I confess that may be due at least in part to my preference for Flavel's style.)

A note on this edition: Unfortunately, this is a very poorly edited edition. Typographical and spacing errors abound. If you're going to read this book, I recommend you use a different edition (like the Puritan Paperback edition pictured above).

No comments: