Friday, January 14, 2011

The Beekeeper's Apprentice, by Laurie R. King

****

I'm not usually a fan of books that attempt to tweak or continue the adventures of classic characters, but Laurie R. King has crafted a solid story that seems to preserve the Holmes I know and love while still allowing for character development. I'm not over-fond of her new creation in Mary Russell, but that may change as the character grows.

All in all, it was a pretty good read, though I will be interested to see if the super-villain trope is a staple of her stories, or if she is content to let Holmes and Russell chase after lesser--but more likely--evils. (I'm also interested to see if King continues to preserve the purity of the Holmes-Russell relationship over time. The temptation to add romance can be powerful, but a chaster relationship is more complex and compelling.)

No comments: