Friday, January 14, 2011

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg

****

Every bit the adventure I remember. Love this book. Konigsburg perfectly captures the arrogance and narcissism of children and pokes fun at their simple and naive self-assurance. She plants the children in a fairly commonplace and yet nonetheless unorthodox setting ripe for ingenuity and creativity, essentially moving the Swiss Family Robinson into downtown New York.

The only possible downside is that it makes running away sound fairly easy and fun and safe. I wonder how many kids ran away after reading this book? On the other hand, it paints museums as places of wonder and mystery rather than musty old buildings devoid of anything remotely interesting.

I had forgotten that the book is narrated by the title character. I suppose that's further evidence that I really DO love voiceovers.

No comments: