Friday, January 14, 2011

The Prince of Frogtown, by Rick Bragg

****

Really more of a four-and-a-half star book. I loved All Over but the Shoutin' and Ava's Man, so I figured I would enjoy this latest story. I was not wrong. Bragg is a great writer, not least because he can imbue the most heartbreaking of stories with a sense of nostalgia. He seems to remembers almost fondly a childhood filled with hardships, and he tells the story with good deal of humor and a healthy appreciation for and love of the ridiculous.

In this particular book, he takes on the story of his father. Readers of his first two books will know that he all but dismissed his father as little more than a footnote in those stories. However, since that time, he has acquired a stepson of his own, and the story of his interactions with his stepson is presented alongside and interspersed with his father's story.

This book is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

No comments: